Dr. Achintya Ray
Associate Professor, College of Business, Tennessee State University
J-401, 330 10th Avenue N., Nashville, TN, 37203, U.S.A.
Email: achintya "dot" ray "at" gmail "dot" com; Web: http://www.aray.cc
My Google Scholar Webpage
Ph.D. (Economics, 2004), M.A. (Economics, 2003), Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, U.S.A.
Post Doctoral Business Program (Finance & Accounting, 2014), University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA.
(Scholarly Academic (SA)/Academically Qualified (AQ) in Finance and Accounting (Endorsed by AACSB) 2014-2019)
Professional Memberships: American Finance Association, American Economic Association, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Tennessee State University, Nashville, TN, U.S.A.: Associate Professor (with tenure), 2010-Present; Assistant Professor, 2004-2010.
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, U.S.A.: Senior Research Associate (Health Outcomes Research, VUMC), 2003-2004; Graduate Research Assistant (Health Disparities, VIPPS), 2001-2003; Graduate Teaching Assistant (Dept. of Economics), 1999-2001.
Selected Conference Papers
- "Entry, Profit and Welfare Under Asymmetric R&D Costs" (With A. Mukherjee), (2014), The Manchester School, Vol. 82, No. 3, pp. 284-295.
- "Prevalence Rates and Racial disparities in undiagnosed pre-diabetes in the US population: Evidence from the National Health and Nutrition Examination survey of 2007-08", (2011), Economics Bulletin, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 3240-3252.
- "Strategic Technology Adoption and Optimal R&D Under Asymmetric Information" (2010), International Research Journal of Finance & Economics, Issue 36, pp. 7-15.
- "Unsuccessful patent application and cooperative R&D" (With A. Mukherjee), (2009), Journal of Economics, Vol. 97, pp. 251-263.
- "Development Planning In A Liberalized Economy: The Case of India", (2008), Indian Economy Review, Vol. V , September, pp. 150 161.
- "Intra-Household Allocation, Household Public Good, and Labor Force Participation of Women" (With I. Ray), (2008), International Research Journal of Finance & Economics, Issue 21, pp. 135-141.
- "An Analysis of Corporate Social Responsibility through the Lens of Corporate Finance", (2008), Money Manager, Vol. 2, pp. 61-64.
- "Strategic Outsourcing and R&D in a Vertical Structure" (With A. Mukherjee), (2007), The Manchester School, Vol. 75, No. 3, pp. 297-310.
- "City-Size and Health Outcomes: Lessons from the USA" (With S. N. Ghosh), (2007), Economics Bulletin, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 1-7.
- "Are Racial Disparities in Diabetes in the USA Driven by Education Distribution?", (2007), Economics Bulletin, Vol. 9 No. 2, pp. 1-18.
- "Patents, Imitation and Welfare" (With A. Mukherjee), (2007), Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 227-236.
- "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures With Public Transfers", (2006), Economics Bulletin, November, Vol. 9 No. 3 pp. 1-8.
- "The Welfare Implications of Product Patent: A Simple Model" (With A. Mukherjee), (2006), Journal of Financial Transformation, August, Vol. 17, pp: 36-38.
Selected Working Papers
- "Income Inequality and Self Rated Health in the United States: Does Education or Race Explain the Link?", (With J. E. Foster), (2006), Conference on "Advancing Health Equity", World Institute of Development Economics Research, United Nations University, Helsinki, Finland.
- "Arthritis, Heart Attack and Both Diseases Concurrently Occur Substantially More Frequently in Individuals with Low Levels of Formal Education than in the General U.S. Population", (With T. Pincus and T. Sokka), (2004), Annual European Congress of Rheumatology, Berlin, Germany. (Abstract Identifier: SAT0383)
Selected Writings in Popular Press
- "The Nature of Healthcare: A Cross-National Time Series Perspective". Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1319645 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1319645
- "Are Inventories Accretive? Lessons from Inventory and Earnings
Relationship in the U.S. Capital Goods Sector".
Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2506765
- "Exports drive economic growth, job creation in Tennessee", (2013), The Tennessean, July 30.
- "TVA's solar energy plan needs more support", (2013), The Tennessean, June 12.
- "Power From the Sun: The Cost-Benefit Paradigm Of `Green Electricity'" (2013), The Statesman, April 08.
- "Run it on Diesel: The Economics of Road Transportation" (2013), The Statesman, March 04.
- "The Plummeting Rupee: A Psychological Vote Of Confidence In The Dollar" (2012), The Statesman, May 22.
- "Analyzing Guilts: Need For a Strong Human Rights Movement" (2011), The Statesman, December 21.
- "The Idea of Democracy: Only An Autocrat Would Dismiss It As `Western'" (2011), The Statesman, July 06.
- "Fairy-tale India: The Eradication Of Hunger, Starvation, And Malnutrition" (2011), The Statesman, June 23.
- "Great Federal Gamble: America's Gift to the Largest Trading Partners?" (2010), The Statesman, December 13.
- "Garbage Vat Syndrome: Turning the Spotlight Inwards" (2010), The Statesman, November 11.
- "The Medical Mart: Patient as a Consumer in a Corporate Ambience - II" (2010), The Statesman, August 23.
- "The Medical Mart: Patient as a Consumer in a Corporate Ambience - I" (2010), The Statesman, August 22.
- "Rhetorical Discord: Coping with the Current Economic Crisis" (2010), The Statesman, July 12.
- "Negotiated Prices Aren't The Only Way to Save Folks Money", (2006), The Tennessean, November 26.
- Graduate: Information Systems and Statistics, Advanced Topics in Healthcare Economics & Management, Economics of Healthcare Organization, Foundations of Economics & Finance, Regulation, and Legal Issues, Introduction to Health Economics and Management
- Undergraduate: Basic Econometrics, Quantitative Methods (Mathematical Economics), Commercial Bank Management, Principles of Economics: Microeconomics, Principles of Economics: Macroeconomics, Statistical Analysis I, Statistical Analysis II, Intermediate Microeconomics, Urban Economics, Urban Land Resource Analysis
Banking and Financial Institution Related Teaching Links:
Other Teaching Resources: Recommendation for the Students
- Statistics and Econometrics Related Software: R Project for Statistical Computing (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED); A comprehensive list of free statistical software is available HERE; Venerable commercial software include STATA, SAS, JMP, EVIEWS, ESTIMA-RATS, SPSS, (NOTE: If you want to learn just one program for all your data, graphics, statistics, econometric, and analytics need then LEARN R (R Project for Statistical Computing). It is FREE! Additionally, thousands of pages of free books, manuals, and contributed materials are available.)
- A FREE Collection of contributed materials for many statistical/econometric work Using R: Click HERE
- Excellent FREE Office Suits: OpenOffice, LibreOffice.
- FREE Operating Systems (Linux): Ubuntu, Fedora.
- Powerful Mathematics Programs (All OPEN SOURCE): Sage; GNU Octave; Scilab;
- Powerful Mathematics Programs (Commercial): MATLAB, MAPLE, Mathematica
- Powerful Programming Options: Python, Scala
- Intermediate Microeconomics; A Wonderful FREE BOOK by R. Preston McAfee (Heavily calculus based)
- Calculus: An Outstanding FREE BOOK by Professor Gilbert Strang availbale from MIT OpenCourseWare.
- Pre-Calculus, Algebra and Trigonometry: Wonderful FREE BOOKS by Dr. Stitz and Dr. Zeager.
- Cloud Backup, Sharing and Seamless Computing: Skydrive by MicroSoft. DROPBOX, BOX.
- Fantastic Type Setting: TeXMaker (FREE and Wonderfully Cross Platform), MikTeX (FREE), Scientific Workplace (Commercial and NOT free).
- Wonderful General Reading for all Interested Readers: Journal of Economic Perspectives
- A BIG Collection of Economic Time Series Data: Federal Reserve Economic Data (FRED)
- Comprehensive Collection of International Data: World Bank Data Repository
- Fantastic Website for Finding Research Papers: ScienceDirect